Monday, March 30, 2009

This, that, and the other....

So I pulled a "Mark" on Saturday, what is a "Mark" you ask. My dad's name is Mark and apparently according to my siblings I am the most like him of all the kids. But that isn't what is important here, what is important is the fact that I took a page out of his pruning book. The old version, the book before he took the Master Gardeners course. I whacked the crap out of a bush on the side of my house and it was fun, and quite therapeutic.
I also decided I like big weeds, you know the kind whose roots go all the way to China? Much more satisfying to pull up one of those then one of the piddly little things. I got the front yard done, too bad you can't tell now because of all the snow!

I didn't take a before picture because I so did this on a whim. This is what I cut off, and my kids put it in the bin, they were quite proud of it. Cutie kept calling it our family tree, it does sort of resemble hubby's bramble bush of a family tree. His is the kind that goes out, and keeps coming back together.
This is what is left of the garbage/leaf catcher bush, not much! Yes, I still have a lot to do.
While we were working, it was just Cutie, LittleMan, and Red, Cutie said something quite profound.
" Mom, Life is work, and work is life" So true honey.
The other quip she said this week, was when we were discussing my weight. She said "Mom, you aren't fat, you are medium" I can go with medium, it makes me feel better.
Last, but not least, a very important thing you all need to know.You cannot change the light to green with your garage door opener. Just thought I would pass that on. I am so embarrassed, please don't ask.

15 comments:

Jana Nielson said...

Haven't tried the garage door opener on the stoplight....but it sounds like something I would definitly do. heh heh heh

Me (aka Danielle) said...

You have to tell now! I am only imagine!

Good work on the week pulling...I've got a few, if you are interested. I'm just sayin'

Bonnie the Boss said...

Really, it is no big thing, I just felt really stupid after I pulled up to the stoplight, and pushed the button on the garage door opener, like it would make it so I could keep driving like it does when I pull up to the garage. duh huh! I laughed at myself and thought it might give the blogging world a laugh!

wendy said...

Medium----that's great. I too will stick with medium. Yard work is hard, but theraputic for sure. Sometime as you said, it is good to chop, pull, trash, kick, and throw things. Ahhhhhh

Kristina P. said...

I'm sure it will look fabulous when all is said and done!

Joanna said...

Did you get stuck at a punishment light, and resort to trying the garage opener? Sounds like something I would try out of desperation! :D

Jo said...

Wow, you don't go by halves when you do something, do you? You will be happy to see all the work done once this stupid snow melts. But it will be awhile, I heard on the news yesterday we have TWO more snowstorms this week.

Tinabean said...

Ok you are making me laugh!
I think I'm gonna have to agree with your siblings.
You are a lot like your Dad! It's totally not a bad thing in the least he is a Great Guy & I love him as him & as my Bishop!
The whole trying to change the light to green thing makes me laugh & remember the high school days running yellow lights & kissing our hands & smacking them on the ceiling for luck or whatever reason we did it! :)

KT'SFST1 said...

You totally prune like your Dad. It has that same look that the rose bush had in the backyard when the neighbor thought he'd kill it! No way--it just sprouts new growth and keeps going. What you've done is more than "renewal" pruning, but it will surprise you. You are an awesome Mom to work with your kids.

Nana said...

I don't know what is wrong w/ your garage door opener. Mine changes the light to green, but I have the deluxe model.

Jillybean said...

Hey, since you enjoy pruning and pulling big weeds, I have some flowerbeds in my front yard that are calling your name.........

Today we learned that having a three year old yell at the light to turn green doesn't make it turn green.

The Huffies said...

You are my kind of yard worker...I love whacking the crap out of things! Love the garage door opener, but seriously, if you flash your brights at the stop light, I think that really does work...or so Ben says!

Bobie said...

Just for informational purposes, you can't open your office door with the electronic automobile door opener either!!

Ben said...

I prune for the therapeutic treatment. Very good stuff.

Lynners said...

You are awesome to get your kids in on that!

It's so dang good for everybody. I LOVE the stoplight story! You're too cute.

Thanks also for the 'medium' thing. I think that might be a break through for woman-kind!